Our Mission Statement

We will glorify God by Loving God, Loving People and Serving Others.  (Matthew 22:37-40)

Our History

Here is the story of the beginnings of our church fellowship and how we became what we are today.

In 1953 construction began on the Atomic Energy Plant in Pike County.  Thousands of people were moving into the area.  There was no Southern Baptist Church near the plant or in any of the adjoining counties.  At first some of the construction workers got together and met to worship in their homes.  In September of 1953 four families placed an ad in the Waverly News Paper inviting anyone who was interested to join them on a Sunday afternoon at the Waverly Presbyterian Church.  Many showed up and thus a mission was started.  Rev. John Snedden, pastor of the Athens Baptist Church, preached on Sunday afternoon until Rev. Charles Hunt became the first Pastor.

The mission grew rapidly.  Land was purchased in the Green Acres subdivision and a one day church raising was organized.  On February 29, 1954 the building was constructed by a group of men.  By 4:00 p.m. the building was completed and Ray Roberts preached the first sermon in the new Waverly mission.

The Waverly Mission was constituted as a church on April 29, 1954 and became The Waverly First Baptist Church.  The first Sunday service had an overflow crowd.  The following month adjoining land was purchased and a wing was added to the building. It became apparent right away that the church needed additional space and a better facility.  Property was purchased August 13, 1955 at the present site on the corner of Third and East Street.  The building in Green Acres sold very quickly.  Services had to be held in the old Walnut Street School building until the first unit of the new church was completed and dedicated on August 4, 1957.  The entire project was executed by the men of the church with the advice of an architect who was attending the services.  An old home on the property was used as a parsonage and later converted into Sunday School rooms.

A second floor was added to the first unit in 1963.  The old home was torn down and a new Sanctuary was built on the corner of the lot in 1979.  The first building was then used for Sunday School rooms and offices.

A bus ministry brought many new families into the church.  Later AWANA was introduced on Wednesday evenings for the children.  A large youth group had been meeting for several years.  The church attendance continues to increase with many coming to know the Lord.

More property was purchased to make room for the new Life Center which was built in 1999.

Missions were started in many of the neighboring towns from the very beginning of the church.  Three of them have grown into flourishing independent churches, being Calvary Baptist in Piketon, Chillicothe Baptist in Chillicothe, and First Baptist Beaver.